Friday, August 14, 2009

Interactive Whiteboards


I have yet to have the opportunity to see an interactive whiteboard (IWB) in action in a classroom yet, but am excited by the possibilities. Last year I used a digital projector for my Learning experiences, using PFDs, photostory and powerpoints. I found it useful but difficult when it came to art classes and teaching perspective, as I could only show one slide at a time, with an IWB I would have been able to annotate the lesson better.

I have been investigating the capabilities of the IWB and must say I am amazed.I found that the IWB users can connect to the school digital video system, can interact with online shared annotation and interactive drawing sites. The Learning Manager can record annotated notes and print out for later which would save a huge amount of time.

It's like a huge touch screen computer, in which the Learning Manager and students can interact and record their findings. We all know how invaluable modelling skills for our students are and up until now, students were given instructions and sent of to their computers to work by themselves. Interactive whiteboards allow for class discussion,collaboration and the sharing of information between other classes. As much as IWB are effective tools the most important thing in teaching is the effective Learning Manager. As Kearsley and Schneiderman (1999)described learning that must be meaningfully and engaging for the students through interaction with others and worthwhile tasks. The use of the IWB increases the collaboration and engagement for all the learners and I'm sur that the will become common place in our classrooms of the future. What do you think?



Reference
Kearsley, G. & Shneiderman, B. (1999) Engagement Theory: A framework for technology-based teaching and learning. Retrieved July 28, 2009 from http://home.sprynet.com/~gkearsley/engage.html

No comments:

Post a Comment